Tuesday, September 2, 2008

oh. my. god.

Hey kiddos, I hope everyone's doing better than I am. I really hate to play the Davidson game and compare who's worse off, but I have a few things that have gone horribly wrong.

My host family is great. I love them dearly. They're marvelous.
They didn't realize I was planning on staying for a year. Which is okay. It could've been an error, but only one such error is really acceptable.

I talked to our program director. He basically said, "huh, that's strange. I could've sworn they were on for the whole year."
...
Then there's an extremely long pause, as if the discussion had ended there. I'm basically steaming and he's not all there.
"Sooo,"
"Yes?"
"WHAT am I supposed to DO?"
"Well, you can tell me in a week if you still like them and if you want to stay with them, and if so, then I'll talk to them. If not, we'll find another family."

Alright, alright.

We've also lost people and left them behind more than once. We don't do headcounts. We don't do anything. I suggested it, and the director said "everyone look around and see if anyone's missing."
Sure, that works for small groups. But come on, there are 30 of us. And we've only known each other for a few hours at this point.
Charlotte was gone for hours. I don't know how she caught up, but she was left on her own for a long time. We were offered a bathroom break, but I guess we didn't look very well to see that anyone had taken advantage of it.

I also have just as much work as, if not more than, a regular Davidson semester. I have no problem with work, but I've really struggled the past 4 semesters and I thought maybe I would finally do alright this time. But guess what? It doesn't even f'n matter, because it's all pass/fail anyway. That's more than frustrating.

No comments: